What is Lumpianada? Lumpianada is a combination of Empanada and Lumpia or Empanada, Lumpia style. The Empanada filling is wrapped using ready-made lumpia wrapper instead of empanada pastry. This version of Lumpianada is easy to make using simple ingredients. Recipe for garlicky brown sauce for dipping is also included below. Give this Lumpianada recipe a try and let me know.
Learn how to make Lumpianada or Empanada, Lumpia style by watching the easy to follow cooking video below. Make it today and surprise your family! Make dinner or snack time extra special and serve them this delicious Lumpianada or Empanada, Lumpia style with garlicky brown sauce. This Lumpianada is also a great party food or as an appetizer. Make a bunch and freeze the rest for later use.
Ingredients in making Lumpianada is pretty much optional. You can use ground chicken or beef or even shrimp, fish or a combination instead of ground pork. Add vegetables you prefer like green beans, celery and many more. Add more fillings like Chinese sausage, cheese or combined. With this Lumpianada recipe, I used the simple fillings that I am familiar with and made the famous empanada sauce I grew up dipping empanada in Iloilo City, Philippines.
Give this simple yet delicious Lumpianada recipe a try. Let me know how you like it. Don't forget to check related recipes below by clicking on the name links below the pictures for complete recipes. Follow Casa Baluarte Recipes on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious home-cooking recipes and easy to follow cooking videos.
- canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 lb ground pork (or chicken)
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 30-40 pieces lumpia wrappers
- hard boiled eggs, sliced
- egg wash (1 egg beaten with 2 tbsp water)
Garlick Brown Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1-2 tbsp minced garlic
- cornstarch slurry (see below)
- salt as needed
- Heat wide pan or a wok over medium-low heat. Add 2 tbsp oil and saute onions for 30 seconds. Add garlic and stir. Saute for a minute or until fragrant. Add ground meat and cook for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink while stirring occasionally. Add oyster sauce and stir to combine.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Allow to cook for 2 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add raisins, bell peppers and green peas. Cook for 2 minutes while gently tossing to combine. Season with salt to taste and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper or to taste. Toss gently to combine. Transfer fillings in a container and allow to cool completely. Drain excess liquid if needed.
- WRAPPING: Spoon around 2 tablespoon of filling and place it on the lumpia wrapper. Add a piece of hard boiled egg and gently but tightly wrap. Seal with an egg wash and set aside. Repeat until all fillings are used. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to fry.
- FRYING: Heat pan over medium heat and add (about 1 to 2 inches) oil. Make sure to fry Lumpianada in batches to cook evenly until golden brown and crispy while turning sides as needed for about 3-5 minutes. Transfer fried Lumpianada in a cooling rack or a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve while hot with garlicky brown sauce. (sauce instructions below)
- Using a sauce pan, add broth or water, soy sauce and brown sugar. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add ground pepper, minced garlic and cornstarch slurry (1 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 1/4 cup of water). Simmer for about 2 minutes or until sauce starts to thickens while stirring constantly. Remove sauce pan from heat and serve Lumpianada with this delicious garlicky brown sauce. Enjoy!
RELATED (click name link below the pictures to see complete recipes)
Post a Comment