Paksiw na Bangus Recipe
Paksiw na Bangus also known as Milkfish stewed in vinegar is a comfort food to most Filipino. The milkfish is simmered in vinegar, water, spices and vegetables. Paksiw is a Filipino style of cooking, whose name means to cook and simmer in vinegar. The kind of fish that is usually used in making paksiw is Bangus or Milkfish.
You want to know my secret to a delicious and not fishy Paksiw na Bangus Recipe or any isda? Drizzle with olive oil towards the end of cooking. Try it! You will love it!
Watch the video below to learn how to make this delicious Paksiw na Bangus recipe. Don't forget to check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the pictures to see complete recipes. Follow Casa Baluarte Filipino recipes on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious home-cooking recipes and easy to follow cooking videos.
Paksiw na Bangus is my favorite version of paksiw na isda. Paksiw na Bangus is delicious with a side of fish sauce and lots of steamed rice. Perfect for breakfast with scrambled egg over garlic fried rice. Left over Paksiw na Bangus can be kept in the fridge for a long period of time. It is easy to cook, delicious and very satisfying! Feel free to add desired vegetable like bitter melon or eggplant and even okra.
- 2 thumb size ginger, sliced thinly
- 1 large (1.5 pounds) milk fish, cleaned and cut in about 5-6 slices
- 5 gloves of garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 small bell pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- green onions
- In a wide pan or a casserole, place ginger and fish. Top fish with garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, water, ground pepper, chili peppers, onion, tomatoes and bell peppers. Bring into a quick boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes until the liquid is reduced. Add half a cup of water if needed.
- Season with salt to taste and drizzle with sesame oil and top with green onions. Cover pan and continue to simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer in a serving dish and serve with fish sauce and hot steamed rice on the side. Enjoy!
(click on name links below the pictures to see complete recipes)