How to cook Bakareta also known as Beef Kaldereta or Caldereta. Bakareta is one of the most famous Filipino beef dish specially served during special occasions. Caldereta or Kaldereta can also be made using pork or chicken instead of beef.
How to cook Beef Caldereta
Kaldereta is a flavorful beef stew. Beef was pressure cooked until tender and simmered in tomato sauce and liver spread. There are many variations on how to make Kaldereta or Caldereta and I can say this recipe is proven delicious and one of the best Caldereta recipe. Tangy, hearty, savory and slightly sweet but then adding sugar to this recipe is optional.
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 2-3 inches cubes
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 4 pieces bay leaves
- water for boiling
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 200 grams tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon liver spread
- 1 tablespoon sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup green olives, optional
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup quick melt cheese, cubed or shredded
- Pressure cook beef with peppercorns, 2 bay leaves and enough water to cover the beef. Pressure cook for about 30 to 45 minutes until beef is tender. Remove beef from broth and set aside. Save remaining beef broth.
- Heat pan and add cooking oil. Fry carrots and potatoes for about 5 minutes. Remove carrots and potatoes from oil and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onion and cook for about 30 seconds. Add garlic and stir. Cook for about a minute or until aromatic. Add boiled beef and let it cook for few minutes. Add ground pepper, soy sauce and 2 pieces of bay leaves. Let it cook for few minutes.
- Add beef broth and bring into a boil. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Add tomato sauce and stir well. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Add liver spread and stir until well distributed.
- Season with sugar to taste (optional) and pepper flakes. Return fried carrots and potatoes to the pan. Add green peas and gently stir. Let it cook until veggies are tender.
- Add bell peppers and green olives. Gently stir to combine. Season with salt to taste and add quick melt cheese. Gently stir to combine and continue to cook until cheese is melted and sauce starts to thickens. Serve hot over rice and enjoy!
(click on name links below the pictures to see complete recipes)