Chicken Caldereta or Kalderetang Manok is a Filipino chicken stew, stewed in soy sauce and tomato sauce using basic vegetables. My version of chicken caldereta dish is so easy to make. Normally this dish is made with goat or beef and sometimes pork meat so to use whatever meat you prefer.
Chicken Caldereta is a popular Filipino dish often served in special occasions like birthdays and holidays so save this recipe for future use. Cooking caldereta or kaldereta has so many version and this recipe is the simpler one. Feel free to add chili peppers to make this dish spicy and cheese or coconut milk if you prefer it creamier.
Cooking Chicken Caldereta is pretty easy. The chicken is marinated in soy sauce and browned in oil then simmered in tomato sauce and soy sauce then fried potato and carrots are added.
The steps below should guide you on how to make this delicious dish. Watch the video below to visually guide you every step of the way.
Make this Chicken Caldereta or Kalderetang Manok and share with family and friends. Save this easy recipe or Pin It for future use. Check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
- 2 lbs chicken with bone
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large potato, cut into cubes
- 1 large carrot, julienne
- small red and green bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped chicken liver or liver spread
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup green olives
- 1/2 cup green peas
- In a wide bowl, marinate chicken with soy sauce and 1/2 tsp ground pepper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a wide pan, heat and add cooking oil. Cook potatoes for 3 minutes or until light brown. Add carrots and cook for few minutes. Add bell peppers and cook for a minute. Remove vegetables and set aside.
- Using the same pan, fry marinated chicken until lightly browned. Add garlic and onion and cook for a minute or until aromatic. Add chopped liver and cook until browned. Pour-in remaining marinade and season with sugar. Add chicken broth or water and stir. Cover pan and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and sauce starts to thickened. Season with salt and ground pepper to taste. Return fried potatoes, carrots and bell peppers to the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are fully cooked.
- Add olives and green peas. Stir gently and cook for a minute. Transfer in a serving dish and serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Spicy Chicken Adobo|