Orange Chicken is one my kids favorite and the closest Panda Express Chinese restaurant that makes awesome Orange Chicken is 10 miles away. By the time you get home from the restaurant the Orange Chicken won't taste as fresh and not crispy anymore.
Watch the video below to visually guide you on how to cook Chinese-style Orange Chicken. Follow Casa Baluarte on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more easy to follow and delicious recipes.
It's so easy to make and you can save a lot of money as most of the ingredients are basic. With this recipe, I used boneless chicken thighs but feel free to use chicken breast or pork.
- 2 lbs boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut into cubes and pat dry
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup water (add more if needed)
- 5 cups cooking oil for frying
- Using a wide mixing bowl, combine cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper.
- Add water, egg and oil and whisk to combine until it reaches the consistency of pancake batter.
- Add the chicken to the batter and stir to combine. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Heat oil using a wok or a deep frying pan in medium-high heat.
- Gently add the chicken to the wok and cook for 5 minutes or until chicken turns golden crispy brown.
- Remove chicken from the pan and drain excess oil. Set aside.
Orange Sauce Ingredients
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp chili flake or a tsp if you want if more spicy
- 1-2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- chopped green onions for garnishing
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Stir well until sugar dissolve. Set aside.
- Using a wok, heat and add cooking oil in medium heat.
- Add ginger, garlic and chili pepper flakes to the wok and stir. Allow to cook for a minute.
- Add the orange juice-soy sauce mixture to the wok and stir to combine. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes while stirring every minute.
- Dilute cornstarch in water and add to the pan. Stir well.
- Continue to simmer until maple syrup consistency is achieved while continuously stirring to avoid the cornstarch from sticking to the bottom of the wok.
- Add in the fried chicken to the sauce and stir until chicken is fully coated with the sauce.
- Top with sesame oil and stir.
- Remove from heat, garnish with green onions and serve hot with lots of steam rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Crispy Fried Chicken|
|Turbo Broiled Chicken|
|Easy Pop Corn Chicken|