Classic Beef Morcon is a special dish served in the Philippines during holidays like Christmas and New Year. A typical Beef Morcon recipe consist of beef that is sliced thinly and marinated to use for the roll. Some uses pork as substitute to beef for less expensive Morcon.
With this Beef Morcon recipe, I used fresh chicken liver (I can't find canned liver in my local grocery store so I figure why not use fresh chicken liver) instead of canned liver and it turned out really good. It made the sauce thicker and more flavorful. Slow cooked Beef Morcon is so delicious and a must try recipe. It might look complicated and all but it is not. Make sure to get all your ingredients ready and you are set to go. Check step by step instructions below on how to make Filipino style Beef Morcon. Give it a try and surprise your family with this delicious dish this coming holiday.
Beef Morcon Ingredients
- 1 1/2 lb beef round or flank, slice into 1/4 inch
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp kalamansi or lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 small carrot, sliced into strips
- 2 small sweet pickles, sliced into strips
- 4 small hot dogs (Filipino brand)
- 2 hard boiled egg, sliced into quarters
- 1/2 cup ham (optional), sliced thin
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 tbsp flour
Beef Morcon Instructions
- Flatten beef slices to tenderize by pounding using a mallet or meat hammer.
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder and black pepper. Stir well.
- Add beef to the soy sauce mixture and stir. Marinate beef for 2-3 hours.
- Drain beef from the marinade, squeezing excess liquid and reserving marinade for the sauce later.
- Lay beef on a flat surface. Arrange ham, strips of carrots, pickles, hot dogs and egg on the marinated beef.
- Gently roll neatly into a log, enclosing the filling.
- Using a kitchen twine, tie beef snugly at both ends and center to fully secure. Lightly dredge with flour.
- Heat the cooking oil using a wide pan. Fry beef roll over high heat until color turns medium brown.
Morcon Sauce Ingredients
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 piece bay leaf
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 pieces chicken liver (boiled and chopped or minced)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- salt to taste
Morcon Sauce Instructions
- Discard oil from frying the Beef Morcon except 2 tablespoon.
- Add onions and garlic. Stir and cook until aromatic.
- Add bell peppers. Stir and cook for few minutes.
- Add minced/chopped chicken liver. Stir and cook for few minutes.
- Add water and reserved marinate and bring into a quick boil.
- Return beef to the pan and cover. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally until beef becomes tender for about 30 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove beef rolls from the pan and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, sugar and ground pepper. Taste test if more salt is needed. Simmer in low heat for 5 minutes.
- Slice beef roll into 1 inch thick rounds and arrange slices on serving dish.
- Pour sauce over Beef Morcon slices and serve hot. Enjoy.
If you are using liver spread, add liver spread with the tomato sauce (see instruction 7)
(click name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Beef Stir Fry with Mushrooms|