Kinilaw na Hipon (Shrimp Kinilaw)
Kinilaw na Hipon is super easy to prepare and the main ingredients is raw shrimp marinated in vinegar, kalamansi juice, peppers, onion, ginger and served fresh without cooking. It can be prepared with various seafood such as tuna, mackerel, oyster, shrimp and meat also known as kilawin. My husband favorite is Kinilaw na Dilis (anchovies).
Kinilaw dishes are usually eaten as appetizer or a finger food Filipino knows as "pulutan" with alcohol drink. This recipe is super easy to make so make some now. Make some and share with family and friends. I would think this would be a great summer picnic food for friends and family to enjoy! Save this recipe or Pin It for later.
You will be seeing a lot of my new dishes served in acacia ware from Pacific Merchants Trading Company. Acaciaware is made from acacia wood which is a hard wood with a tight grain. Acaciaware is so easy to care! The serving bowls, plates, and trays are made of sustainable and natural acacia hardwood, also known as monkey pod in the Philippines.
Don't forget to check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
- 1 lb medium size shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 cup white vinegar (preferably datu puti)
- 1/4 cup kalamansi juice or lemon juice
- 1 thumb size ginger, grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienned (optional)
- 5 pcs kamias, sliced or grated green mango
- 1 jalapeno chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a bowl, add shrimp and vinegar. Stir gently and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- In a separate bowl, combine kalamansi juice, salt and ground pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Add ginger, onion, bell peppers, kamias, chili pepper, chili flakes and green onions to the kalamansi mixture. Mix gently and set aside.
- Strain the excess vinegar from the shrimp.
- Add the shrimp and kamias to the vegetable mixture and mix gently.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and transfer in a serving plate. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)