Chicken Estofado is a Filipino dish made with chicken stewed in soy sauce, vinegar, pineapple juice and cooked with fried potatoes, cooking banana and bell peppers.
Estofado can be made using pork or even fish. This dish is so easy to make and full of flavors.
Chicken Estofado has that salty, tangy and sweet flavor that is similar to Adobo and Pata Tim. I learned how to make this delicious Chicken Estofado dish by watching my father, he can cook the best food ever!
Watch the video below and learn how to make a delicious and flavorful Chicken Estofado Filipino-style. Follow Casa Baluarte on Facebook and YouTube for more easy to follow cooking videos.
This chicken dish might sound complicated to cook but actually it is not. Watch the video above to learn how to make this easy Chicken Estofado, Filipino-style with fried potatoes and cooking banana.
Feel free to choose the kind of cooking banana (saba, plantain, Thai) to use but from my experience, I suggest to use the Filipino saba banana. Check your local Filipino or Asian store frozen section, Golden Saba is the name brand from the Philippines.
This Chicken Estofado has it's own unique taste and so delicious. A simple recipe that is worth giving a try so make it now and share with family and friends.
Use pork belly or shoulder if you prefer. This dish is also a great party food and taste better the next day!
Save this recipe or Pin It for later use.
Don't forget to check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
- 1 - 2 lbs chicken, cut into serving size
- salt and ground pepper
- 3 tbsp canola oil (or any kind)
- 1 large potato, cut into 4
- 2 cooking banana (saba), cut into bite size
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tsp sugar (add more if needed)
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Season chicken slices with salt and ground pepper. Set aside.
- In a wide pan, heat and add canola oil. Over medium heat, fry potatoes and cooking banana until light brown. Remove and set aside.
- Using the same pan, fry chicken pieces for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Saute garlic and onion until caramelized.
- Pour-in soy sauce, vinegar and water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, pineapple juice and sugar. Stir gently and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and sauce starts to thickens.
- Return fried potatoes to the pan and cook for few minutes. Add fried cooking banana and cook for few minutes.
- Add bell pepper and cook for few minutes. Transfer in a serving dish and serve. Best when served with steamed rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Spicy Chicken Adobo|
|Chicken Katsu Curry|
Post a Comment