Ilonggo Chicken Pochero is cooked without tomato sauce. It is so tasty, flavorful and just as delicious and nutritious! This Chicken Pochero recipe is the version I grew up in Iloilo City. Packed with delicious vegetables and simmered to perfection.
Learn how to make this simple Chicken Pochero with this easy recipe. The easy to follow video and instructions below will guide you every step of the way.
Check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 3 large tomato, sliced
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 knorr chicken cube
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp salt or fish sauce or to taste
- 1 large carrot, cut diagonally
- 1 large potato, cut into cubes
- 4-5 cups of water or chicken broth
- 2 banana saba, cut diagonally (or any cooking banana)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small cabbage, sliced
- 1 bunch pechay (bok choy), trim ends
- Heat oil in a deep pan or pot. Saute ginger, onion and garlic for about a minute or until aromatic. Add tomatoes and cook tomatoes until limp and soft. Add chicken pieces and cook until slightly brown. Add chicken cube and stir to combine. Season with ground pepper and salt or fish sauce to taste. Add carrots and potatoes. Allow to cook for few minutes while stirring.
- Pour-in water and add more if needed. Cover and simmer of medium heat for about 20 minutes or until chicken is tender. Skim off the scum and fats as needed. Stir occasionally.
- Add banana saba and simmer for 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, cabbage and pechay. Simmer for 3 minutes or until all vegetables are cooked and tender. Remove from heat and transfer in a serving bowl. Serve hot with steamed rice and enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Chicken Sotanghon Soup|