Bukayo is a delicious coconut dessert made of young coconut strips, coconut water and brown sugar. Bukayo is the Filipino version of coconut candy. It is a very sweet Filipino delicacy popular among kids and adults.
Pretty simple to make and you can store left overs. It is made by simmering the coconut strips in coconut water and brown sugar with a little salt and vanilla extract. With this recipe, I added calamansi peel that made this Bukayo recipe more delicious.
Watch and learn how to make this Bukayo recipe by watching the easy to follow cooking video above. The instructions below will guide you every step of the way. Don't forget to check related recipes below, click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
- 1/2 cup coconut water or regular water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp calamansi or lemon peel
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups young coconut meat - strips or shredded
- In a wide pan, combine coconut water (or water) and brown sugar. Stir until sugar dissolved and melted. Simmer over medium-low heat while stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, calamansi peel and vanilla extract. Stir to combine and continue to cook until mixture starts to thickens. Add-in young coconut strips and mix well to evenly coat the coconut strips. Cook until the sugar caramelized over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes while stirring constantly. Adjust heat if needed. Continue to cook until mixture becomes very sticky to hold its shape. Turn off the heat and allow to cool for a minute.
- Form the mixture into a flat circle using a serving plate or clean banana leaves. Allow to cool completely to dry and serve. Serve and Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Minatamis na Saging Saba|