Here is how to make Bitso Bitso, an Ilonggo native delicacy and the Ilonggo version of Karioka or Carioka. This delicious snack is made with glutinous or sticky rice flour that is deep fried then coated with caramelized brown sugar or muscovado. Bitso Bitso Ilonggo snack is crunchy outside and chewy inside.
Learn how to make this delicious Bitso-Bitso snack by watching the easy to follow cooking video below. The instructions below will also show you every step of the way so why wait and make this today. Make this and share with family and friends or save this link for future use.
There are many version on how to make bitso bitso, pronounced as bichu bichu and this one is my favorite. They are easy to make using few ingredients. Some likes making this with just plain glutinous rice but I prefer this with few drops of ube extract.
Check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe. You can also follow Casa Baluarte on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more home-cooking recipe and easy to follow cooking videos.
Good for 4-5 servings (makes 10 pieces)
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1/2 cup water or adjust on the quality of the flour
- 1/4 tsp ube extract
- cooking oil for frying (around 2 cups)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup muscovado (dark brown) sugar
- In a wide mixing bowl, combine glutinous rice flour and gradually add 1/2 cup water. Combine gently and add ube extract. Knead until dough is formed. (Make sure to slowly add the water as some flour does not need or need more water, it all depends on the quality of the flour and see video above to see the texture of the dough)
- Scoop 1/3 cup of dough mixture and form it like a log (see video above). Start twisting and seal ends. Set aside.
- In a wide pan, heat over medium heat and add cooking oil. Once the oil is hot, slowly drop and fry the twisted dough for about 3-5 minutes while turning occasionally to evenly cook the dough. Remove fried dough from the pan. Drain using a wire rack or place in a plate lined with paper towel to remove excess oil. Set aside and discard remaining oil.
- Using a dry and clean pan, toast sesame seeds until lightly browned and set aside.
- In a clean pan, pour-in water and add brown sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar and simmer over medium heat while constantly stirring until liquid starts to caramelized.
- Put-in fried bitso bitso one by one to the caramelized sugar. Gently toss to coat the fried dough evenly with caramelized sugar. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and gently toss to combine. Arrange in serving plate about 1/2 inch apart from each other so they won't stick together when sugar dries up. Serve with your favorite beverage and enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Biko wit Latik|
|Banana Turon with Mango|