Everlasting is a Filipino-style meatloaf originating from Marikina City. Everlasting is also known as the Marikina meatloaf or Marikina Everlasting and is similar to Hardinera meatloaf of Lucban, Quezon. It is made with ground pork, chorizo de bilbao or hot dog, eggs with carrots, bell peppers, raisins, relish, onions, garlic and it is steamed on a oval shape mold called llanera.
Learn how to make Everlasting Marikina by watching the cooking video below. The instructions below will guide you with the steps. There are many versions on how to make Everlasting and with this recipe I used hot dog instead of chorizo de bilbao or Chinese sausage.
Everlasting is a special Marikina delicacy usually served on special and festive occasions. Everlasting is also similar to Embutido but steamed in an oval shape tin mold called llanera. The difference between Hardinera and Everlasting is, Everlasting uses ground pork and Hardinera uses slices of pork.
Check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe. You can also Follow CASA BALUARTE RECIPES on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious home cooking recipe and easy to follow cooking videos.
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 pcs hot dog, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 1 tsp ground white pepper or to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1/4 cup relish, drained well
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 3 eggs 2
- melted butter
- hard boiled eggs
- 3 pcs pineapple sliced
- 1 hot dog, sliced diagonally
- strips of red and green bell pepper
- carrot florets
You will also need:
3 llaneras (oval shaped mold)
wilted banana leaves
- In a wide pan, heat oil and cook sliced hot dog until lightly browned, set aside. Cook chopped hot dog until lightly browned and set aside.
- Using the same pan, saute onion and garlic until aromatic. Add ground pork and cook for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Season with ground pepper and salt to taste, and stir. Add chopped carrots and bell peppers. Stir and cook for few minutes.
- Pour-in tomato sauce and water. Simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add fried chopped hot dogs, raisins, drained relish and drained crushed pineapple. Stir to combine and simmer until liquid is almost absorbed for about 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add shredded cheese and stir gently until well combined. Remove pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool completely. Pour-in well beaten eggs and stir until well distributed.
- Brush llaneras with soften butter and line with wilted banana leave then brush the leaves with softened butter. (see video above) Arrange hard boiled egg, slices of pineapple, bell peppers, fried hotdog and carrots in the llaneras. Add meat mixture and gently press. Cover llaneras with aluminum foil tightly.
- Bring enough water into a boil. Arrange llaneras in the steamer and steam for about 1 hour or until mixture is set. Remove from the fire and allow the steamed Everlasting to cool completely. Transfer Everlasting in a serving plate and remove banana leaves. Serve as whole or sliced with ketchup. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Stuffed Bell Pepper|