Bulalo is a delicious bone-in beef shank soup cooked with corn, cabbage and pechay. Bulalo is a simple soup dish with rich broth with a bit of a sweet taste from the corn. It has a light colored soup with leafy vegetables usually served with rice with soy sauce and calamansi on the side. Potatoes and carrots can be added to this Beef Bulalo dish and also green or long (sitaw) beans.
Bulalo is native to the Southern Luzon region of the Philippines, particularly in the provinces of Batangas and Cavite. There are so many versions on how to make Beef Bulalo and I can say this recipe is one of the simplest one yet the broth is packed with flavor. Some uses beef ribs when making Bulalo and it's all good but using beef shanks is the best to use.
Bulalo is so good especially when served during cold seasons. If you have a high cholesterol, you might consider using beef ribs instead of beef shanks. The beef shanks is pressured cooked for an hour until meat is fully tender. Don't have a pressure cooker? Use a regular soup pot and cook it slow and easy for about 2-3 hours or until beef is tender. Just add more water if needed.
Learn how to make a delicious fall-off-the-bone Beef Bulalo by watching the video below. The instructions are also pretty basic so make it today or save this recipe for later use. If you like Beef Bulalo then this recipe is for you! Make it today and share with the family. Don't forget to check related beef recipes below. Just click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
- 2 lbs beef shanks
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 large sweet corn, cut into 3
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 small cabbage, quartered
- 1 bunch pechay, cut into 2
- 2-3 finger chilies
- 2 stalks green onion, cut into 2
- salt as needed
- Using a pressure cooker, place beef and pour in enough water to cover the beef. Boil for about 10 minutes (np need to lock the pressure cooker). Remove beef from the broth and discard liquid.
- Rinse pressure cooker and pour-in 8 cups of water. Return beef to the pressure cooker and add onions and peppercorns. Pressure cook over medium heat for about an hour or until beef is tender. Add more water or beef broth as needed. Remove pressure cooker from heat and allow to cool down before opening.
- Add corns to the pressure cooker. Lock the pressure cooker and cook the corn for about 15-20 minutes or until fully tender.
- Season with fish sauce and add cabbage, pechay and finger chilies. Cook for about 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender yet crisp. Add green onion and cover. Remove from heat and allow the steam to cook the green onions for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer in a serving bowl and serve while hot with steamed rice. Best when served with soy sauce or fish sauce on the side to dip the vegetables. Enjoy!