How to make Vietnamese-inspired Lemongrass Chicken. This aromatic Lemongrass Chicken is so delicious and bursting with flavors. It has a perfect balance of sweet and saltiness, and so delicious specially when served over steamed rice.
This amazing Lemongrass Chicken recipe I learned from a co-worker years ago and became my family's favorite! It is so easy to make using simple ingredients that is so common in a Filipino kitchen. It is kind of time consuming chopping the white bulb part of the lemongrass so if you have an Asian store in your neighborhood, check out the frozen isle. It is usually made from Vietnam.
Give this simple yet fresh tasting Lemongrass Chicken recipe a try. Make it today and make dinner extra special! You will be surprised by the flavor of this Vietnamese-inspired Lemongrass Chicken. You can marinate the chicken a day before cooking and you can also use thin slices of pork chops instead of chicken. You can also used boneless chicken thighs and legs and even chicken breast. Just reduce the cooking time.
Follow Casa Baluarte Recipes on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious home-cooking recipes and easy to follow cooking videos. Don't forget to check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipes. Let me know what you think of this easy and simple recipe! I would love to hear from you!
Chicken and Marinade:
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 lbs chicken legs and thighs, cut into serving pieces
For Caramel Sauce:
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp sugar
Other Ingredients needed:
- cooking oil (3 tbsp + 3 tbsp)
- 3 tbsp minced lemongrass (white bulb only)
- 1 large shallot, sliced thinly
- 4-5 dried chili peppers
- crushed chili peppers to taste (optional)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- In a big bowl, combine fish sauce, curry powder, garlic, 1 tbsp sugar and salt. Stir well to combine. Add chicken pieces to the marinade and massage for few minutes. Let it sit for at least an hour or longer the better. (can be marinated overnight in the fridge)
- For the Caramel, in a small pan, combine 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp water. Stir and cook until amber caramel forms while continuously stirring. Remove pan from heat and add 3 tbsp water to the caramel. Stir to dissolve the caramel and set aside.
- Heat a wide pan or a wok and add 3 tbsp cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add lemongrass, shallots and dried chili peppers. (add 1 teaspoon crushed chili peppers if you prefer it spicy) Stir and cook for about minute until fragrant. Push the lemongrass to the sides of the pan and add marinated chicken. Cook or about 5 to 8 minutes until golden brown over medium heat. Turn chicken and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until nicely browned and chicken is half cooked.
- Add 3 tbsp water and the caramel sauce. Cover pan and reduce heat to medium-low to simmer. Continue to simmer until sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked through. Add few more tablespoon of water if needed to cook the chicken. Make sure chicken is fully cooked but not overcooked.
- In a small pan, heat over medium-high and add cooking oil. Add chopped green onions and quickly cook for about 15 seconds while stirring. Remove from heat and add fried green onions to the lemongrass chicken. Turn off the heat and serve while hot with steamed white rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the pictures to see complete recipes)