How to make Pork Mechado. This recipe is the pork version of the famous Filipino Beef Mechado composed of pork shoulder, potatoes, carrots, bell peppers and peas. The pork is cut into cubes and marinated in soy sauce, lemon juice and ground peppers, and stewed in tomato sauce until meat is tender. The difference with this Pork Mechado recipe to Afritada, Menudo or Caldereta are the ingredients which is the soy sauce and citrus to add acidity to the sauce.
Mechado is a popular dish in the Philippines and can be made with chicken or pork, but beef is the most traditional meat used when cooking Mechado. Pork Mechado is also a Filipinos popular party food and an ultimate comfort food for many Filipino families. There are many versions on how to cook Mechado and I must say this Pork Mechado recipe is so flavorful and delicious! Best when served with steaming white rice and maybe some fish sauce on the side.
Watch the short video below and learn how to make this mouth-watering Pork Mechado recipe. Gives this delicious Pork Mechado recipe a try and let me know how you like it. Comment below or email me @ email@example.com. Follow Casa Baluarte Recipes on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more home-cooking recipes and easy to follow cooking videos.
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tbsp lemon or calamansi juice
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large potato, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pieces bay leaves
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 cups water or broth or as needed
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or to taste
- In a bowl, combine pork pieces with ground pepper, soy sauce and lemon or calamansi juice. Mix well and let it marinate for at least an hour.
- Using a wide pan or a wok, heat and add cooking oil. Add potatoes and cook until lightly browned for about 3 minutes. Add carrots and cook until lightly browned for about 3 minutes. Remove carrots and potatoes from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, saute onions for 30 seconds. Add garlic and cook until fragrant for about a minute. Stir in pork and the remaining marinade. Allow pork to cook until brown for about 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add bay leaves, sugar (optional), tomato sauce and water. Stir to combine and bring into a boil for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer until meat is tender for about 30 to 45 minutes while stirring occasionally until sauce start to thickens. Add water (by a cup) as needed if meat is still not tender.
- Add fried carrots and potatoes to the pan. Gently stir and cover pan. Cook until vegetables are tender for about 10 minutes. Add bell peppers and gently stir. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add green peas and fish sauce to taste. Gently stir to combine and cook for additional 1 minute. Transfer in a serving dish and serve with steamed white rice. Enjoy!