Chicken Afritada Recipe
Chicken Afritada is a popular and a well-loved Filipino dish. This famous dish is Filipino-Spanish inspired where chicken and vegetables are stewed in tomato sauce. Chicken Afritada is easy to make using simple ingredients.
There are many versions on how to make Chicken Afritada and this recipe is with grated cheese and no peas. The steps below should guide you on how to make this delicious chicken afritada. Watch the video below to visually guide you in every step of the way.
This simple and delicious afritada dish is pretty easy to make. Looking for a new chicken recipe? This delicious chicken afritada recipe is the one. You don't like cheese? No problem, just skip it! Double up on the sugar if you want it a little more sweeter.
If you like rich and savory chicken dishes, you will definitely love this recipe. Chicken Afritada Filipino-style consisting of chicken, potatoes, carrots and bell peppers best when served with steamed rice. Make this now or save this recipe. Pin it for later use.
Follow and Subscribe to Casa Baluarte Facebook Page and Casa Baluarte YouTube videos for more delicious and easy to follow recipes.
Check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium potato, quartered
- 1 medium carrots, cut into bite size
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1-2 lbs chicken with bone, cut into serving pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 small green (and red) bell pepper, julienne
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup grated quick-melt cheese
- Heat pan and add canola oil. Fry carrots and potatoes until light brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add unsalted butter to the pan. Brown chicken pieces for 3 minutes on each side.
- Saute garlic, onions and tomatoes. Stir and cook for few minutes. Add fish sauce, sugar and bay leaves. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Pour-in tomato sauce and water. Stir and bring into a quick boil. Reduce heat to simmer over low heat for about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked and sauce thickens.
- Return fried potatoes and carrots to the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
- Add bell peppers and simmer for 2 minutes. Add grated cheese and allow cheese to melt for another minute. (Stir if you want but I prefer to serve it with melted cheese on top) Turn off the heat and serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)