Tired of meat sinigang? Want it healthier? Try making this Sinigang na Isda sa Batuan fruit recipe. So light in taste and healthy. Don't have access to batuan fruit? I recommend using fresh tamarind or Knorr Tamarind Soup Mix. I was told batuan (also known as garcinia morella) is also available in powder form and available at some grocery store in the Philippines.
Sinigang na Isda is a popular and a favorite Filipino fish soup dish. Sinigang is often associated with tamarind but I am still here in the Philippines, Iloilo City to be exact where batuan is readily available. So any given chance I rather use fresh batuan fruit instead of tamarind soup mix.
- 3 cups water or rice wash
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup batuan fruit, peeled
- 3 medium tomato, wedged
- 1 lb fresh fish (or bangus), cleaned and rinsed well
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- salt or fish sauce to taste
- 2-3 pieces finger chili (siling haba), sliced
- 3 stalks green onion, sliced
- In a wide pan, add water, onion, batuan and tomatoes. Boil for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add fish and season with ground pepper and salt or fish sauce to taste. Cover pan and cook for about 10 minutes or until fish is fully cooked.
- Add finger chili and cook for few more minutes. Top with green onions and cook for another minute or two. Serve immediately and enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Sinigang na Pompano|