Here is how to cook a mouth watering Chicken Hamonado. Chicken Hamonado is a delicious Filipino dish where chicken is marinated in pineapple juice, soy sauce and some basic spices. It is lightly browned then simmered until sauce becomes thick with pineapple slices. It is not only a delicious dish but is very easy to make using simple ingredients.
Give this chicken hamonado recipe a try. Learn how to make this by watching the easy to follow cooking video below. The instructions below will also guide you every step of the way so make it today and share with family and friends or save this link for future use.
This Chicken Hamonado recipe has a perfect balance of sweet and savory and the chicken turned out so tender. Chicken Hamonado is also a great recipe for any occasion. You can use pieces or whole chicken but with this recipe I used split chicken and it turned out so tasty and flavorful in every bite.
Tip on How to Split a Whole Chicken:
Using a sharp knife, cut off the back of the bone by cutting down each side of it to remove. Turn the chicken over and lay it out flat on the cutting board. Using both hand, press down firmly on the chicken breast to breast bone and flatten the chicken as best you can.
There are numerous variety on how to make Chicken Hamonado and I must say, this is one of the easiest way. A great recipe to serve for birthday parties, holidays or any get together.
Also, check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe. Follow Casa Baluarte on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious home-cooking recipe and easy to follow cooking videos.
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 whole chicken, around 2-3 lbs (split)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1 small can sliced pineapple (4 pieces)
- Using a wide container, combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, ground pepper and salt. Stir to combine and dissolve sugar.
- Add split chicken and rub mixture all around. Cover container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (I suggest marinate it overnight for better result). Once marinated, drain chicken and set aside remaining marinade.
- Using a wide pan or a wok, heat over medium heat and add cooking oil. Place chicken (breast side down) into the pan and cook until lightly browned for about 3-5 minutes each side. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside. (best to watch video above)
- Using the same pan, saute onion and garlic until soft and fragrant. Return chicken to the pan and add bay leaves. Pour-in remaining marinade and bring into a quick boil. Cover pan and reduce heat to simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Flip the chicken over (breast down) and continue to simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and sauce starts to thickens.
- Add slices of pineapple to the pan and continue to baste with the sauce until sauce is thickened for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer in a serving dish and serve with steamed rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)