Here is how to cook a delicious Pinakbet also known as Pakbet. Pinakbet is a Filipino vegetable stew made from mixed vegetables cooked with pork belly, shrimp and shrimp paste. There are two variations of Pinakbet. The Pinakbet Tagalog and Pinakbet Ilocano.
Pinakbet Tagalog and Pinakbet Ilocano uses pretty much the same ingredients, the only difference is the type of bagoong used. The Pinakbet Tagalog uses shrimp paste or bagoong alamang and the Pinakbet Ilocano uses bagoong na isda. They are both delicious but my favorite is this Pinakbet Tagalog specially when vegetables are cooked perfectly.
Pinakbet is one of the Filipinos popular and favorite comfort food. Not only it is easy to make but it is so delicious and packed with flavors. This simple vegetable dish is best when eaten fresh over steamed white rice.
Give this simple recipe a try and make it today. Share with family and friends or save this link for later use. Learn how to make this Pinakbet Tagalog by watching the easy to follow cooking video above. The instructions below will guide you every step of the way.
Don't forget to check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe. You can also FOLLOW Casa Baluarte Recipes on FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more delicious home-cooking recipe and easy to follow cooking videos.
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 medium tomato, sliced
- 1/2 lb pork belly, sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp sauteed shrimp paste (ginisang bagoong)
- 1.5 cup water
- 2 cups yellow (kalabasa) squash, cut into cubes
- 1 bunch long (sitaw) beans, cut into 3 inches
- 2 medium bitter (ampalaya) gourd, cut into pieces
- 8-10 pieces okra, cut in halves
- 1-2 large eggplant, sliced
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt as needed
- Using a wide pan or a wok, heat and add cooking oil. Saute onion and garlic until fragrant for about a minute. Add tomatoes and cook until soft for about 2 minutes.
- Add pork sliced to the pan and cook until lightly browned for about 3 minutes over medium heat. Season with ground pepper and add sauteed shrimp paste. Stir and cook for few minutes.
- Pour-in water and cook until meat is tender for about 15 minutes. Add more water as needed.
- Add yellow squash, long beans, bitter gourd, okra and eggplant. Stir gently to combine and cook for few minutes while occasionally stirring gently.
- Add shrimp and season with salt as needed. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender yet still a little crisp. Transfer in a serving dish and serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Beef and Veggies Stir Fry|
|Bulanglang at Gulay|
|Chicken and Veggies Stir Fry|
|Alogbati at Kalabasa|