Beef Nilaga or Nilagang Baka is a classic Filipino one-pot-meal beef and vegetable soup dish. The beef is boiled until tender and choice of vegetables are added. This simple Beef Nilaga is best served during cold or rainy weather.
Beef Nilaga or Nilagang Baka is one of the Filipinos favorite comfort food so make this Beef Nilaga today and share with family and friends. Watch the short video below to learn how to make this delicious one-pot-meal soup. The instructions below will also guide you with the steps. It is definitely easy to make using basic ingredients, just time consuming when it comes to boiling the beef.
There are many ways on how to cook Beef Nilaga or Nilagang Baka. Some likes to add banana saba or even carrots. You can also shorten the boiling process by using pressure cooker to soften the beef but I always believe the old fashion way where you simmer the beef until tender over medium-low fire for a better tasting soup.
Don't forget to check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe. You can also follow Casa Baluarte Recipes on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious home-cooking recipe and easy to follow cooking videos.
- 6-8 cups of water
- 1.5 lbs beef shanks or beef with bones
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 tsp peppercorn
- 2 pieces corn, cut int 3 parts
- 1 large or 2 small potatoes, quartered
- 12 pieces green beans, ends removed
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- salt to taste
- 1 small cabbage, cut into 4
- 2 stalks green onion, cut into 2
- Using a big pot, pour-in water. Add beef, onions and peppercorns. Cover and boil for about 10 minutes while skimming off the scum and fats that floats. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for an hour or 2 until beef is tender. (pressure cook for 30 minutes) Add more water as needed.
- Add corn to the pot. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until corn is tender.
- Add potatoes. Cover and simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add green beans and season with fish sauce and salt to taste. Cover and simmer for few minutes.
- Add cabbage and green onions. Cover and simmer for few minutes until tender.
- Transfer in a serving bowl and serve while hot. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry|
|Beef with Mushroom|