Filipino-Style Paella is a popular Filipino fancy rice dish specially during special occasions like birthday celebrations or town fiestas. It consist of rice, seafood, meat and vegetables. Paella comes in different varieties like Seafood Paella, Chicken Paella, Vegetable Paella or mixed and this recipe is one of the simpler one. Simple yet very delicious and packed with flavors.
Here is an easier version on how to make the Filipino Style Paella. Check the video below to learn how to make Filipino Style Paella. The instructions below will guide you with the steps. Feel free to add chicken to this recipe.
There are several ways of preparing Paella and you will notice this recipe did not call for saffron. Not that I don't like saffron, it's just not available in our local grocery store but that did not stop me from making this delicious Paella and it turned out just as good. If you have saffron then go ahead and add it.
Check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe. Follow Casa Baluarte Recipes on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram for more home-cooking recipes and easy to follow cooking videos.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 pieces chorizo (Chinese sausage) bilbao, cut diagonally
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 piece Knorr chicken cube
- 2 cups long grain rice, washed, rinsed and drained
- 1/2-1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 8 ounces tomato sauce (1 cup)
- 5 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 lb mussels, cleaned well
- 1 lb medium size shrimp, cleaned well
- 1/2 lb squid, cleaned and cut into rings
- 1/2 cup green peas
- salt to taste (I used 1 tsp)
- banana leaves (optional)
- Using a pan, heat over medium fire and add olive oil. Add chorizo bilbao and cook until aromatic for about a minute. Remove and set aside. Add green and red bell pepper strips to the pan and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add onions and garlic and cook until fragrant for about a minute. Add chicken cube and stir. Cook for a minute. Add rice and stir. Allow rice to cook for about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Season rice with paprika and stir. Pour-in tomato sauce and water (or broth). Stir, cover pan and bring into a quick boil then reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Season with white pepper and fish sauce, and stir. Add mussels and shrimps to the pan. Gently stir to combine and cover pan. Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes or until rice is cooked while stirring occasionally.
- Add squid, fried chorizo bilbao (save some for garnishing), bell peppers (save few strips for garnishing) and green peas (save some for garnishing). Gently stir to combine. Add salt to taste if needed. Cover rice mixture with banana leaves then cover pan with the lid. Simmer for 5-10 minutes over lowest heat until rice is fully cooked.
- Garnish cooked Filipino style Paella with green peas, chorizo bilbao and bell peppers. Serve while hot with lemon wedges and enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
|Yummy Fried Rice|
|Chicken and Shrimp Valenciana|
|Yang Chow Fried Rice|
Post a Comment