Chicken and Pork Adobo
How to make a tasty tender Chicken and Pork Adobo. Chicken and Pork Adobo is a popular Filipino dish where chicken and pork is marinated in vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and sugar then browned in oil and simmered in marinade until tender and sauce thickens. This famous Chicken and Pork Adobo recipe is tangy, sweet, salty and garlicky. Best when served over steamed rice, lots of rice. Give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it!
The most common version of Filipino Adobo uses chicken or pork or both or even fish like bangus or tilapia. Learn how to make a delicious Chicken and Pork Adobo by watching the easy to follow cooking video below. Chicken and pork were marinated in vinegar mixture and drained before browning. I love it when pork is fully tender so I make sure pork is simmered longer before adding the chicken. So delicious and even better the next day!
Follow Casa Baluarte Recipes on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious home-cooking recipes and easy to follow cooking videos. Don't forget to check related recipes below. Just click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipes.
- 2 lbs chicken with bones, cut into serving pieces
- 2 lbs pork belly or shoulder, cut into big cubes
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (or to taste)
- 2-3 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorns
- 5 pieces bay leaves
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups water or as needed
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp achuete powder plus 2 tsp oil
- In a wide bowl, combine chicken, pork, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, peppercorns and bay leaves. Mix to coat each piece of the chicken and pork with the marinade and allow to marinate for an hour at least or overnight. Separate chicken from pork and allow to drain for at least 5 minutes.
- Heat pan over medium heat and add oil. Add marinated chicken and cook for 15 minutes or until nearly cooked through while stirring occasionally. Remove chicken and set aside. Using the same pan, add marinated pork and cook until brown for about 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Pour in remaining marinade and bring into a quick boil. Add water and cover pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until pork is tender for about 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add water as needed.
- Add fried chicken to the pan and stir to combine. Cover pan and continue to simmer until pork and chicken is fully tender and sauce reduces for about 15 more minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and ground pepper and stir to combine. Add achuete powder diluted in oil to the pan. Stir to combine and continue to simmer until sauce thickens or most of the liquid evaporates. Transfer in a serving dish and serve with rice. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipes)