How to cook Bakareta also known as Beef Caldereta or Kalderetang Baka.
Bakareta is a Filipino beef recipe that is very popular during Filipinos Fiestas or any special occasion. They are different types of Caldereta and one of them is Bakareta that is made with beef. If beef is used then it is called Bakareta and Kaldereta if goat meat is used. I would say it's all in the name.
Bakareta is a type of Filipino beef stew cooked with tomato sauce and liver spread. The key to a delicious Bakareta or Beef Caldereta is to make the beef super tender and using good quality of beef with fat. Also slow cooking until beef is tender is a must. With this Bakareta recipe, I used chuck roast cut. Chuck roast is cut from the shoulder and neck region of the animal. They maybe labeled as chuck roast, shoulder steak or shoulder pot roast. Chuck roast is slightly fattier than brisket or round and has a richer taste but it is higher in saturated fats.
Learn how to cook Bakareta or Beef Caldereta by watching the short video below. Follow Casa Baluarte Recipes on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious home-cooking recipes and easy to follow cooking videos. Don't forget to check related recipes by clicking on name links below the pictures to see complete recipes.
How to cook Bakareta video
Serves 6 People
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast, cut into cubes
- ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 pieces bay leaves
- 6 cups of water or beef broth
- 15 ounces (1.5 cups) tomato sauce
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 1/2 cup liver spread
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup cheese (cubed or grated)
- Using a deep pan, heat and add cooking oil. Add potatoes and carrots. Cook for few minutes until almost cooked while stirring occasionally. Remove carrots and potatoes and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add onion and garlic. Saute for a minute until soft and aromatic. Push onions and garlic to the side of the pan and add beef. Cook beef until brown while turning occasionally. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper, soy sauce and bay leaves. Stir and allow to cook for few minutes.
- Slowly add water or beef broth to the pan and stir well. Cover pan and bring into a quick boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until beef is tender for about an hour or two while stirring occasionally. Add a cup or two of water or beef broth as needed.
- Pour in tomato sauce and stir until well combined. Return fried carrots and potatoes to the pan, and the green peas. Gently stir and continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add bell peppers, olives and liver spread. Gently stir until well distributed. Cook for about a minute. Season with sugar and salt and pepper as needed. Add cheese and gently stir. Cook until cheese is melted and sauce thickens. Transfer in a serving dish and serve while hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!
(click on name links below the pictures to see complete recipes)