Sweet and Sour Shrimp
How to make Sweet and Sour Shrimp? Skip the takeout and make this Sweet and Sour Shrimp at home. You'll be surprised at how easy and delicious this Sweet and Sour Shrimp recipe I put together. This Sweet and Sour Shrimp dish is an easy weeknight dinner and ready in less than 30 minutes. This tangy Sweet and Sour Shrimp is tossed with crunchy bell peppers, onions and chunks of pineapple. This variation swaps the pork for shrimp and you can also use fish or chicken instead of shrimp or pork.
This Sweet and Sour Shrimp recipe includes homemade sweet and sour sauce so tasty using pineapple juice and Filipino ketchup! This Sweet and Sour Shrimp is simple to make and can be customized to fit your preferences so what are you waiting for? Make it today and make dinner extra special! You want this recipe healthier? No need to batter and fry the shrimps. Just toss the shrimps with bell peppers, onions, pineapple and add towards the end. I also used Jufran banana ketchup but feel free to use whatever brand of ketchup you have like Del Monte sweet blend if you have. Once you mix the sauce ingredients, do a taste test to adjust the taste to your liking before cooking.
Watch the easy to follow cooking video and learn how to make this super easy Sweet and Sour Shrimp with a Filipino twist. Give it a try and let me know how you like it. Don't forget to check related recipes below. Click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipe. Follow CASA BALUARTE on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious home-cooking recipes and easy to follow cooking videos. Leave us a comment below or send me a message on my Facebook page or YouTube channel.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 lb large shrimp, deveined and pa dry
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup banana ketchup
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- cooking oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
- toasted sesame seeds for garnishing (optional)
- chopped green onions for garnishing (optional)
- In a wide bowl, add egg whites and whisk well. Add salt and cornstarch and whish until foamy. Add shrimp to the mixture and mix to coat each piece of shrimp. Set aside.
- In a wide bowl, combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup and light brown sugar. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a pan, heat enough cooking oil over medium high heat. Add shrimp one by one and cook for 2 minutes or until golden light brown. Remove shrimp and transfer in a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a pan or a wok, heat and add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Add bell peppers and cook while stirring for about a minute. Add onions and toss. Cook for about a minute. Add pineapple chunks and toss. Cook for about a minute. Remove vegetables from the wok and set aside.
- Using the same wok or pan, heat and add a tablespoon of cooking oil. Add minced garlic and ginger. Cook for about a minute or until fragrant while stirring constantly. Pour in sauce mixture and stir. Simmer over medium heat until sauce starts to thickens while stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetables and stir. Cook for about a minute. Add fried shrimps and toss. Cook for about a minute and remove pan from heat. Transfer in a serving dish or on top of a bowl of rice and serve with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Serve hot and enjoy!
(click on name links below the pictures to see complete recipes)