Buko Salad is a traditional Filipino fruit salad. A refreshing Filipino dessert that is made from young coconut, nata de coco, fruit mix, cheese, cream and milk. Buko Salad is a creamy dessert that is very popular in the Philippines and Filipinos around the world specially on special occasion like birthdays, town fiesta, Christmas and New Year.
Every Filipino has its own version on how to make Buko Salad and this one of the simpler recipe. Make sure to drain all the fruits including the nata de coco overnight or at least for 3 hours before mixing with the cream and milk to avoid the Buko Salad from being soupy.
When I make Buko Salad I don't normally add lots of other fruit so it won't overpower the buko flavor but if needed, you can add raisins, kaong and whole kernel corn and a drop of pandan essence to this recipe just make sure to drain the fruits well. Add more cream and milk if needed. Don't forget to check related salad recipe below, click on the name link below the pictures to see complete recipes.
- 3 lbs young coconut, shredded
- 1 can (15 oz) fruit cocktail
- 1 (12 oz) coconut get (nata de coco)
- 1 can (8.25 oz) pineapple chunks
- 1 can (7.6 oz) table cream
- 1 can (14 oz) condensed milk
- 1 cup diced cheddar cheese
- In a big colander, drain juice from buko, fruit cocktail, nata de coco and pineapple. Drain for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Combine condensed milk and table cream in a wide mixing bowl. Stir to combine well.
- Add cheese and drained fruits to the cream mixture. Fold gently until all the ingredients are well distributed.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer in a serving bowl and serve. Enjoy!
(click on the name link below the picture to see complete recipes)
|Chicken Macaroni Salad|
|Chicken Potato Salad|
|Macaroni Fruit Salad|
|Filipino Fruit Salad|
|Sago Fruit Salad|
|Mango Sago Salad|