One of my favorite chicken dish, adobo cooked dry in achuete oil with no soy sauce. Check out simple recipe below and give it a try. This can also be done for pork or squid.
You will need:
- 3 lbs. chicken legs with skin, cut into serving size
- 1 cup datu puti vinegar (or any white vinegar)
- 1 whole head garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black ground pepper
- 5 pieces bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar or more to taste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 2 teaspoon achuete powder (annatto)
- canola cooking oil or any kind
- Dilute achuete powder in 5 tablespoon cooking oil, set aside
- Using a wok brown garlic in 1/4 cup cooking oil.
- Add chicken slices to the wok and stir fry till chicken turns golden brown.
- Season with salt and ground pepper. Stir fry for few minutes.
- Add vinegar, sugar, peppercorn and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Once it start boiling reduce heat to medium, cover pot and stir occasionally. Simmer till chicken is fully cooked.
- Add achuete oil and stir well. Simmer in medium low heat or till sauce thickens.
- Remove wok from heat and serve.