Tinolang Tahong is a delicious and a simple recipe. It is cooked with ginger and some greens. With this recipe I used dahon ng sili also known as pepper leaves. I also added bell peppers and it turned out really good. You can use any greens desired (malunggay, dahon ng sili or spinach) and add more vegetables like green papaya or sayote. Give it a try and let me know.
- 2 lbs. mussels, cleaned
- 3 thumb size ginger, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 stem lemon grass, cut
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup dahon ng sili or malunggay leaves
- 1 tbs. fish sauce
- salt and black ground pepper to taste
- 1 tbs. canola oil or any kind
- 2 to 3 cups water
- Using a deep pot, heat and add cooking oil. Add ginger and sauté for a minute. Add onion, garlic and lemon grass. Saute for few more minutes or until aromatic.
- Add water and simmer for 5 minutes in medium low heat.
- Add mussels, season with fish sauce and ground black pepper. Add salt if needed. Stir, cover and cook for 10 minutes in medium heat.
- Add bell pepper, cover and cook for few minutes. Add pepper leaver, cover and cook for few minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and transfer in a serving bowl. Serve hot and enjoy.
RELATED (click name link to see complete recipe)